Saturday, July 21, 2012

Outfit of the Day and Heelless Shoes

What I wore July 19th:
Click 'em to enlarge 'em.

Last Thursday, my mom and I went down to the dentist at UAB school of dentistry. I was in the office from 8 a.m. til noonish. It was an absolutely gorgeous day.
It was super hot though, and that's why I'm making faces in these.

The outfit isn't super exciting, but I was pretty thrilled about how well these shoes went with these pants.
So far, I've only worn them with skirts and shorts.
Sadly, this is the only picture that really shows them off with the pants.
The sun was in mine and Mom's eyes. Which is why I'm squinting, and why she took the photo crooked.

This is the first time I've worn pants since winter. I figured they'd be best if I was stretched out in a dentist's chair all day.

Again, sun in my eyes. 


So, I went down to visit the dentist, which might be my fourth dentist in two years. I'm going to have to have a TON of work done on my teeth. Two implants/posts, three root canals, three crowns, and fillings on every single other tooth. Plus, I found out I have dry mouth, because of my weird sinuses.
Good news: It's *only* going to be $6000.
Which is way less than the $27,000 that I thought it would be. I thought I'd have to have all my teeth crowned, which is what two dentists told me.
They set me up with a treatment plan, and I'm going to go down and get the root canals. And then, hopefully, the implants.
Yep. Two missing teeth.

So what do you do when you're a broke college student/entrepreneur faced with $6000 in dental bills?
Go shopping of course!!
...
Actually:
UAB is in Birmingham, Alabama. So, Mom and I always stop by the Galleria mall, to browse and spend time together window shopping. We had Chipotle for lunch (our usual) and it was as good as always. We headed to the mall to see if they had those heelless shoes that I was lusting after.
If you've followed me on Facebook, you know:
I've wanted a pair of Jeffrey Campbell Night Walk shoes for MONTHS now. You know... those beautiful, weird heelless shoes... (I've wanted some since Victoria Beckham wore heelless boots years ago.)
The store that I was expecting to have them didn't have them. But another store did. Mom picked them up, and it was like a comedy cliche: she called my name, and asked: "Did you see these?" I literally squealed, dropped the shoe I was looking at, and ran over to her.
I spent at least 15 minutes trying them on, picking the right size, and picking between black and a beautiful goldish nude.
A pricing debacle followed, involving a $59 price tag, a 25% off sale, and a $99 price tag.
By the end of the day, however, they were mine. <3

Buying shoes (or anything) full price is unheard of for me. This was definitely a splurge. I only pay full-price on something if it's a wardrobe staple, or I know I'll love it. (Skin-tight black skinny jeans were $40 last year, fulfilled both requirements, and were worth EVERY PENNY.)
So, I had a bit of... well, not buyers remorse, but I wondered if they were worth what I spent, if I really needed them, or just wanted them. I agonised for a second about the insanity of spending that much on shoes when I'm facing a ton of dental treatment.
But I reasoned: I never usually buy things if they're not on sale. AND, I hate having to live my life working just to pay bills, or just spending money solely on things to perpetuate my existence: food, gas, medical bills.
I can afford it. I don't want to feel guilty. This makes me happy. So, I got them.
No regrets.
Yolo. (< joking. Sorta.)
I also got a pair of shoes that I've needed for a YEAR and have just now found.
Here's the swag list from Thursday:
(Please pardon the terrible photo, bad lighting, and messy room.)

I went to Belk and got:
pink top: $44.00 on sale: $5.99
black and gold top: $34.00 on sale: $5.99
white shorts: $32.00 on sale $8.99
I saved $89.03 !!
.........
wedge shoes, Breckelle's: $30
heelless shoes, Chinese Laundry: $80 (on sale from $99)
..........
(The striped top and pink shorts I bought earlier in the week, but since I haven't worn them yet, I figured I'd add them.)
pink shorts, Marshalls: $12.00
striped shirt, Rue 21: $3.00
(Told you I rarely buy things full price.)
...........
Those packets in the center of the photo?
Biotene mouthwash and toothpaste: free :)
They're special dry mouth dental products. Because apparently, I have dry mouth.
(Which actually explains a lot of things. Why I have a tendency to snore, why I drink so much water, etc....)


Full price, but they will be worth every penny.

JKLFDIOHIFLFKJLFDJKGHKL
UGH.
YES.
THESE ARE MINE.
<3
Photoshoot coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment