Monday, September 24, 2012

ReMasters of the Universe

This is another one of those "Finally!" posts. As you can see on the flyer, the show date was August 11th. It is now Sept. 24th. And they say things happen faster with technology...

Read more by clicking on.... 'read more'!


This event was a really big deal for me, because it was the first show that I've actually been approached and asked to be in. I was thrilled, because Brooke E. (who curated me,) is a phenomenal artist. (Check her out at : http://www.unfriendlythings.com/)

The theme of the show (and hence, the name) was to take a work from one of the masters, and recreate it in our own style.

My choices?

"Woman With a Teacup" by Hokusai

My version. I didn't have time to scan it properly, so this is the best picture I have. :(
I painted Hokusai's "Great Wave" on the teacup. See what I did there? :3

"The Last Supper" by da Vinci

My version. I'm a little bit disappointed with the colours. I wish I had kept it at red, white, and black, with maybe a couple of other spot colours. I love the layout, but, again... I'm not used to using colour, so...
(I didn't have time to scan this one either. Bummer.)




"Work in progress" shots.


My "studio". On my best friend's bedroom floor.
I'm glad he puts so much trust in me to use acrylic paint without a drop cloth on his beige floor. <3

In progress....

My studio guardian.





All those sleepless night spent working on canvasses finally led up to one amazing night of art, music and camaraderie:

(Photo: Brooke E.)
(Look at that foxy fox on the right...)

(Photo: Brooke E.)
J Greer's scandalous cross-dressing lovemaking duo: Red Riding Hood and the Wolf.

Derp and Derper

Look at these gorgeous colours!


PRICELESS.
They were geeking out over how good the dessert was: chocolate pudding with toasted marshmallows and graham crackers.

According to them, this was the best photo of the night.


UGH. What ugly faces we're making.

American Gothic!!! :D
(Look at my picture-taking skills! I'm great at framing things!)

"Bird Girl Sitting in a Cemetery with Zombies"
by Randy McQuien JR

"Elephants"
by Ash Sivils

"Leo" 
by Burn353
(Not to pick favourites, but... this one was totally my favourite. :D It was beautiful in person...)

"Wings Upon a Slave"
by Scott Hoerz
This one was incredible too. Especially in person. It's ridiculously 3D, and it draws you in.

ALL the submissions were excellent. I wish I had taken pictures of all them, but I figured that someone else would. :(



Awwwr~


...this sums up our friendship perfectly.


Exhaaaausted.


These ginormous bows will soon be for sale in our shop! :D


I feel so honoured to have been among so many spectacular artists. It was a great show, and I feel sorry for anyone who missed out.

So there. :) My ReMasters photos are up. Another thing I can check off my to-do list in my mad scramble to get ready for Anime Weekend Atlanta. (In like, 3 days.)
Here's to printing shirts, and making bows, all night long, 3 nights in a row! *raises glass*

Ciao,
Clara

No comments:

Post a Comment